A week and half away and here is the likely field for Kentucky Derby 137 in order ranked by earnings:
1. Uncle Mo - on the workout comeback trail - sort of like Muhammad Ali calling a sparring match a comeback
2. Dialed In - more secluded than the Royal Family
3. Archarcharch - we are family - father-in-law/son-in-law trainer/jockey team, nice story=lower than necessary odds
4. Comma to the Top - you'll likely shout in exclamation at the top of the stretch, if you bet him
5. Toby's Corner - Wood winner will hopefully avoid dreaded "wise guy" tag
6. Pants on Fire - can't decide if he's pretender or contender
7. Midnight Interlude - not being able to pass stablemate in Churchill workout doesn't bode well
8. Soldat - connections practicing rain dance
9. Brilliant Speed - no synthetic to real dirt Derby winner yet
10. Master of Hounds - gets the centerpiece for having traveled the longest distance
11. Twice Appeal - I watched Mine That Bird, have the feeling he's no Mine That Bird
12. Nehro - possible chalk, really, I'm not kidding
13. Mucho Macho Man - two, old school seven furlong workouts back-to-back - I like it!
14. Decisive Moment - I'm begging you to leave him off your ticket
15. Animal Kingdom - may be final defection and/or turf monster in waiting
16. Stay Thirsty - gets Dominguez to ride...yawn...
17. Santiva - traffic troubles in field of 12, add eight more to the mix and he'll be in the breakdown lane
18. Watch Me Go - remember he beat a former $16K claimer in Tampa Bay Derby and not by much
19. Shackelford- tough as nails in Florida Derby defeat, does he have another furlong in him?
20. Twinspired - last horse in just adds to intrigue or one to cross off your the list
Next blog will be Channeling the Derby Part I - Horses You Should Toss