Sunday, March 15, 2009

Coulda Woulda Shoulda

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' bout the things
They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little did.
- Shel Silverstein

The above poem should be posted above urinals anywhere there are horse players. Many of us, at one point or another, have succumbed to the Coulda-Shoulda-Wouldas of combinations we didn't put together or others we changed only to see come in. Yesterday I had such a moment.

I gave out a Pick 4 I'd be playing at Fair Grounds, then I made some changes based upon the sloppy conditions. In reality, I melded the two possible Pick 4s into a losing combination. If you look below, I wrote that I would leave Rachel Alexandra off the first leg - I kept her but added Flying Spur. I also added second place finisher in the New Orleans, Secret Gateway and had Macho Again (too bad I didn't play them in exactas...see there's a shoulda creeping in). By adding Flying Spur, I forced myself to take a single in the turf feature, thus leaving off Proudinsky, who I wrote I would add. I left off Louisiana Derby winner Friesan Fire off the final leg, but had him in my 50-cent Pick 5 without, again, Proudinsky for a 4-out-5 non-winner. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment